News

Letter to members

01 June, 2018    |    Social

"It is absolutely false, as all the members and users of the Real Club Náutico de Palma are aware, that 50% of the moorings are given over to commercial use. It is hard to understand how a statement so far from the truth and, additionally, so easy to verify, could appear in the media."

Dear member,

Following the publication in yesterday’s edition of the Diario de Mallorca of a news item concerning the extension of the lease granted to the Real Club Náutico de Palma, we feel it necessary to clarify certain facts which refute the statements made in that report.

It is absolutely false, as all the members and users of the Real Club Náutico de Palma are aware, that 50% of the moorings are given over to “commercial use”. It is hard to understand how a statement so far from the truth and, additionally, so easy to verify, could appear in the media.

In reality, as the above newspaper, at the request of the club, has reported today, 81% of the berths are long stay, while 19% are allotted to passing vessels, in compliance with the terms of the lease. The Real Club Náutico de Palma meets these requirements scrupulously, and this fact eloquently contradicts the news item reported.

The Real Club Náutico de Palma manages 974 berths, of which 643 (66%) are between 4 and 12 metres in length, while the remaining 331 (34%) are between 12 and 20 metres long. These figures conflict with the allegations of the news report: that half the harbour is given over to commercial use and also that the club is not fulfilling its purpose. To clarify further, the RNCP has 5,300 square metres of leased water surface to spare, which remain unused because there are boats that are smaller than their allocated berth space.

We need only to take a glance at the marinas surrounding the RNCP facility to realise that our club embraces the spirit of club and leisure boating far more than any other in the Port of Palma. We are deeply sorry that that this fact has been called into question using data far removed from reality.

The club believes that its “general interest” status is more than justified, both by the figures confirming that most of the moorings are given over to what the Balearic Port Authority calls club boating (4-12 metres) and by the generous funding by the club in favour of sport (sailing, canoeing, sailing for the disabled, paracanoe, and the organisation of sports events).

The Real Club Náutico de Palma is currently engaged in negotiations with the Port Authority to renew the lease, which expires in 2022. To this end, we have filed renovation plans which have recently met the approval of an external audit proposed by the Balearic Port Authority. This is the second plan designed by the club, the first having needed rectification to include a 95-space underground car-park. This car-park was added at the request of the Port Authority, as the club’s initial idea had been to put this money into the clubhouse and improving sports facilities.

The club’s support activities go beyond the promotion of sport. Two examples are the recently signed cooperation agreement with the ONCE (Spain’s National Organisation for the Blind) and the Municipal Sports Institution (IME) to facilitate disabled persons’ access to the sea and promote nautical activities among the city’s families.

The club, now in its 70th anniversary year and widely regarded as a flagship of boating in Spain, meets all the legal requirements for the extension of the lease and trusts that the Balearic Port Authority will recognise the undeniable value of the club in the general interests of the City of Palma.

The Committee therefore encourages members to take an active part in making the values of the club known to others and thus cooperate in the process of getting the lease renewed, to counterbalance the ill effects of unfounded news stories.
The RCNP is still engaged in the processing of the renewal application, on which its future rests, awaiting the Port Authority’s reply to its latest proposal.

Please do not hesitate to ask us for any clarification or further details.

Yours sincerely,
RCNP Committee

 

News / Etiquetas

Twitter

MapfreBMWSail RacingHostipal Quirón PalmaPlanasAir EuropaBufete Frau